This is a transfer from my Patreon, you can find out what I enjoyed in 2018!
In no particular order…here we go! Some of these books I’ve not reviewed yet, but please do check them out!
- Ready Aim Fire by Lexi Vranick – stirring debut indie poetry collection about survival and hope.
- The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli – young adult novel about a fat teenage girl who has so many crushes, but struggles with her body-image.
- The Woods by Marnie Silverman – an indie short supernatural story by a Jewish author.
- A Blade So Black by L. L. McKinney – amazing debut young adult novel about a bisexual black teenage girl who battles supernatural beings known as Nightmares who are invading the real world from Wonderland.
- Nectar by Upile Chisala – indie poetry collection by Malawian poet about growing from the past and embracing self-love and healing.
- The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo – mythical/fairytale-esqe short story collection based in Bardugo’s Grishaverse.
- The Little Hours by Dorothy Parker – a humorous short story about the cons of reading a really good book! I read this one for university.
- The Raven’s Song by Nalini Paul – an indie poetry collection that draws on mythology.
- Dear Martin by Nic Stone – moving debut young adult novel about a black teenage boy who begins writing to Dr Martin Luther King as he struggles with school and contends with police brutality.
- Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan – a thoroughly enjoyable young adult novel about a teenage boy who learns he is the son of a Greek god.
- Nothing is Okay by Rachel Wiley – an amazing poetry collection that discusses feminism, fatness, and heartbreak. Read my review here!
- Warcross by Marie Lu – a fantastic young adult sci-fi novel about a Chinese-American teenage girl whose world is turned upside when she is plunged into a global virtual reality game. Read my review here!
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo – an awesome debut young adult novel by a slam poet about a black teenage girl who struggles to find her voice in light of an abusive parent and harsh world.
- Insomnia by Lauran Z – an indie poetry collection that discusses late-night thoughts of heartbreak and change.
- Places Between Places by Thomas DeWhirst – an indie multimedia poetry collection about the moments in between.
Until next time, be brave & bookish!